. The National Council of Nonprofits reports:
“Charitable nonprofits around the country are reporting significant difficulties retaining staff and filling vacancies. While job vacancies in the government and business sectors may cause disappointment and lost profits, the lack of adequate nonprofit staffing means the public suffers delayed or complete loss of needed services”
For nonprofit leaders, an already challenging job has become even harder. You have too much on your plate, limited resources, and finding the time to get the help needed is so difficult you end up just doing most tasks yourself or putting them on the back burner…again. The last thing you need is someone talking to you about what you need to do – you need someone with the expertise to just do it!
And if this is a reoccurring task – you need them to create the system to easily replicate results for the next time or person.
I strive to live by the motto “Seek first to understand” yet I believe in moving beyond “polishing the problem” to action-based solutions in a timely manner. Spitfire Project Based Consulting incorporates both approaches. I am efficient, knowledgeable, confidential, personable, and not afraid to look at innovative solutions.
1. Let’s talk! The first hour of consultation is completely free. We can determine your organization’s needs and priorities.
2. If we agree that my services are a good fit, I will send you a proposal/contract outlining the project with specific deliverables and timelines. Or it may be that I recommend another avenue (special event coordinator, marketing expert, grant writer, etc.) My #1 objective is your organization’s success.
3. Cost: a flat fee will be based on the nature of the work and the estimated time to produce the deliverables. My goal is to provide a tangible return on the investment and will work with you on creating a contract that works for you and your organization.
4. Communication and Reporting: depending on the project, we may have brief check-ins to ensure the outcome is meeting expectations. Otherwise, the project will be completed on time and digitally delivered. I can also report to your BOD or committee.
Donor Development: Database, Analysis, Campaign Planning, Endowment and Legacy Giving Plans, Annual Giving, Donor Appreciation
Grants: research, set up (so you can write a grant in a day)
Special Events: Planning, Budgeting, Volunteer Recruitment, Sponsorship Packaging
Board Development: From Recruitment to Resignation
· Advertising, Application
· On-Boarding, Roles & Responsibilities (tailor to YOUR organization’s needs)
· Engagement, Guidance on Governance
· Appreciation Plan
· Executive Director Mentoring/Guidance
· Policy and Procedures
· Team Building
Programmatic / Organizational Research and Evaluations
· Development of evaluation tool
· Analysis and recommendations: of existing tool, of results, of dissemination and implementation
· Community Collaboration / Key Partnerships
This is just a sample of the type of projects I am able to help with, Call Today to discuss your specific needs.
I have over 30 years of experience working and volunteering for government and non-profit organizations in a variety of roles (see full resume). My most recent position was as Executive Director for a youth mentoring program, Partners in Routt County (2012-2021). My professional experience has led to a wide variety of skills and abilities, including:
· Fund Development
· Business and Finance Management
· Board of Directors (BOD) Development
· Strategic Planning
· Personnel Policies & Procedures; incorporating staff empowerment
· Restorative Justice / Practices
· Mentoring & Positive Youth Development
· Program Research and Evaluations;
· Community Collaboratives
· Nonprofit Start Ups, Transitions, Closures, and Mergers
· Interim Leadership
What I am most known for is my ability to listen, digest, and formulate action plans. I love creating order out of chaos; understanding a challenge and providing long-lasting yet adaptable solutions.
Why consulting? When I was ready to step away from the Executive Director role, I decided to take time for an adventure and in August 2022 I completed 165 days and a 2,195-mile thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail! The solitude allowed me plenty of reflection time to consider my next career move. I realized that my expertise and passion could best be utilized in filling a NEED I was personally aware of – giving nonprofit leaders the support they needed – one project at a time. So, I put my trail name to use and launched Spitfire Project Based Consulting, LLC!
I am available to help any business but specialize in supporting nonprofit leaders by tackling tasks that they simply don’t have the time or expertise to complete.
Michelle is an incredible leader in the non-profit and youth mentoring space, and we’re so grateful for her knowledge, experience, and partnership. As a presenter at our Colorado Mentoring Summit and Technical Assistance Provider with MENTOR Colorado, Michelle is engaging, a skilled collaborator, and well-versed in mentoring best practices. Dec. 2022
-Hannah W. Krieger, Executive Director, Mentor Colorado
As a new Executive Director, I didn't know what I didn't know. Michelle met me where I was at and went above and beyond to help me and my board discover where the holes were in our current operating systems and made very helpful board development recommendations. Michelle took the time to connect with me on a consistent basis until I fully understood what my next steps were to take our non-profit to the next level. I have no doubt that this is an investment that will pay itself back again and again as we continue to grow. Jan. 2023
Our time with Michelle has already been so valuable in giving our board and non-profit focus and direction. We worked with Michelle 3 years ago on a strategic plan that supported our growing non-profit and our board continues to reflect and build on the work we did at that work session. It was so valuable that when Michelle made herself available for additional consulting work, we jumped on that opportunity! Nov. 2022
- Molly Lotz, Executive Director, Routt County Crisis Support.
I am now a Technical Assistance (TA) Provider with the National Mentoring Resource Center through Mentor Colorado. Contact me to learn more about how your organization might qualify for up to 50 hours of free TA! https://comentoring.org/program-resources/technical-assistance/